Skip to main content

Two Mothers

There's a beautiful picture I've seen posted on social media several times over the last few days. In between the screenshots from the video of George Floyd's horrific death and the photos of rioters interrupting otherwise peaceful protests is this snapshot of a toddler George, fast asleep, and snuggled up against his mother. 

It's an image I'm very much familiar with, especially these days as I spend most of my time feeding my one-month-old. So often she falls asleep while eating and I get the joy of gazing down on her peaceful face, perhaps with a big smile similar to Larcenia Floyd's. It's also an image that I see time again in the myriad of depictions of the Virgin Mary and Christ child. In my home, in my church, in my son's school, I see it everywhere. Statues, paintings, refrigerator magnets, artwork from my nieces and nephews. Sometimes Mary is smiling, a small, gentle smile; other times she is gazing wistfully at her son, who is often sleeping in the same totally-relaxed way young George was when that photograph was taken.

Whenever a tragedy like this most recent one occurs, when the life of a black child or adult is taken so suddenly and violently, I am reminded of Our Mother. I think of her at the foot of the cross watching her son die a slow, horrific death. And this after she had already seen him climb Calvary, stumbling and falling along the way while the crowds jeered at him. Bloody, crowned with thorns, his body covered in wounds from the scourging he suffered. Did she hear him cry out to his Father, asking why he had abandoned? Did she feel the earth move beneath her feet when her beloved son finally gave up the ghost? 

I've not watched the video of George Floyd's murder. Seeing screenshots is enough for me. And when I read that he called out for his deceased mother in his final moments my heart shattered. So quickly that heartbreak can turn to hopelessness. 

But then I look at that picture of George & his mother, & I look at the painting of the Virgin Mary & baby Jesus I have in my bedroom. And, despite the heartbreak & sadness, I can't help but smile. Hope remains. There's work to be done - policy changes, education, lots of listening, humbling ourselves. Not all of us can attend protests or donate thousands of dollars, but many of us, mothers & fathers, can enact change just be loving our children the way Mary loved Jesus. The way she loves us. It's a start. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loki, Season 1 - Review

The first season of Loki is done, but the good news is that a second season is coming...at some point! It's been a heck of a year for MCU fans, with all the new shows and movies that have already come out and are still on the docket.  So, here are my thoughts on the latest Disney+ addition to the Marvel Universe: Things I Liked Sylvie  - she was the absolute stand-out of the whole show. I had never heard of Sophia Di Martino before, but she absolutely killed it. I love that about the MCU - taking virtual unknowns (like Tom Hiddleston pre- Thor ) and casting them in big roles. The chemistry between Sylvie and Loki was palpable, and I'm not ashamed to say that I totally ship them. I'm eager to see what Sylvie does next, and eager to see Di Martino in more projects!  Mobius - when I first heard about Owen Wilson being cast in a role in the MCU, I was like, Just kidding. But I was curious to see how the actor, a character in and of himself, would work out. He was such a brea

House of a Saint

102.5 pounds. That's how much I weighed when I was a senior in high school. I remember that number because I was proud of it, and because I never hit it again after I went off to college. At that time I was playing field hockey, eating a bowl of ice cream almost every night, and in a terrible, toxic relationship. Looking back at pictures of me from that time period, I looked slender and toned, by skin tan from practices and games spent outside. My teeth were straight and picture-perfect thanks to braces. My hair had a cute, natural flounce to it that I've mysteriously never been able to replicate.  But, boy, was I miserable in that body.  Fake it 'til you make it, baby. This time of year, when beaches and social media feeds are filled with images of half-naked bodies, it's hard to not feel less-than. Even knowing that people edit their pictures with filters and Photoshop, that they contort their bodies and hold their breath long enough to snap that perfect shot, it can

Memere

My husband's grandmother recently died. He had the honor of eulogizing her at the funeral Mass, a task he did not take lightly. In the days leading up to the funeral, he agonized over what to say; how does one begin to encapsulate the remarkable life of a woman who lived nearly 98 years? Ultimately he gave a brief summary of her life, the highs and lows, and ended with one of the stories she frequently told that he had transcribed before she started losing some of her memory. I'm glad to say that he made it through without crying - much to his own relief! Since her passing I have thought a lot about what I would like to say about her. I only had the pleasure and privilege of knowing her for 11 or so years; a small fraction of her life, but a good chunk of mine. There is so much that I could say about her, and so much that could be said by others, but I'd like to focus on the two traits I found most admirable about her - her tenderness and her generous spirit - which so ofte