Skip to main content

I'm Not Going to Change Your Mind About Abortion

I'm not going to change your mind about abortion.

I know I'm not.

No matter how many statistics, testimonies, scientific facts I post, I know some people will not be swayed from their position. 

But you know what?

That's not really my intention anyway.

@destinynwf

Since the news broke about the Texas Heartbeat Bill my newsfeed has been full of posts about it. I've seen people lauding it, people decrying it, and plenty of people who are feeling a bit of both. I've seen a lot of misinformation about it, a lot of fear-mongering. I've seen false hope and premature relief. I've shared things on my own social media pages about the bill, too. 

I know it's not going to necessarily change anyone's mind. 

What's my intention, then?

I share these things and I talk about these things because I believe that the only way to truly create change, the kind of change that both sides want, is by thinking about these things, really thinking about them, and then getting to work. That's what I'm interested in. Because we can be keyboard warriors and argue until we're all blue in the face about biology and rights and the like, but it doesn't mean a damn thing for the woman who is facing a crisis pregnancy. My "thoughts and prayers" or your bumper stickers are not going to help that woman who is scared, nervous, unsure, and everything in between.

@newwavefeminists

Many people would like to live in a land where abortion is outlawed. Me personally, I'd much rather live in a society in which abortion is seen as unnecessary. A country, a culture that is so dedicated to building women up, to giving children a healthy head-start, to preserving families, to holding men to higher standards, that just the thought of terminating a pregnancy leaves people puzzled. 

I'd love to live in a place where women understand their inherent worth. Where girls and young ladies know that they are deserving of love, and that that love is not going to come from toxic relationships and sex. Where men are taught to truly respect women, to see them as equals; not just bodies they can use and abuse for their own pleasures and purposes. Where children are not seen as commodities - the latest accessory, a good that can be bought or sold - but are treasured for the gifts that they are. Where women have access to quality healthcare and are treated with dignity. Where the maternal and infant mortality rate is low. 

@secularprolife

So how do we get there? We could vote for politicians that promise change, we could write to our representatives asking them to support this-or-that bill, but let's face it: the government is so dysfunctional, so full of people who are only looking out for number one, that it's a miracle when bills get passed without issue. If you're looking to the government for guidance on what is right or wrong, if you're looking at them to help you, then I'm sorry to say that you will be sorely disappointed. I'm not an anarchist by any stretch, but I recognize the limitations of a government that oversees 50+ vastly different states and territories with a diverse, in ever sense of the word, population of 328.2 million.

The change starts with non-profits, with organizations dedicated to helping in a comprehensive and affirming way, with people like you and me. That's something we can all agree on, isn't it? Can't we all agree that women shouldn't have to choose between their job or housing and their baby? Can't we agree sex trafficking should be reported and stopped and not allowed to continue? Can't we agree that no human, even an unborn one, should be discriminated against based on gender or ability? 

@rehumanizeintl

Abortion is a sign that we have failed women. It's a band-aid solution to a vast array of problems. Solving these problems may not be easy, and many would say nigh impossible, but, damn it, we have to try. Not just for the unborn children whose lives are at risk, but for the women whose livelihoods are at risk too. 

Looking for ways to help? These are some organizations that I support and/or recommend who are doing the real boots-on-the-ground work in TX and elsewhere to help women and children:

Abide Women's Health Services - serves women and families in communities with lower access to care, especially BIPOC

New Wave Feminists - consistent life ethic group that advocates for the life from "womb to tomb" (anti-abortion, anti-death penalty, etc.). Has organized relief campaigns in Texas, Mexico, and elsewhere.

The Family Preservation Project - organization that lists resources available to women and families by state, with a special dedication to preserving birth families.

Haznos Valer - home for women and their children in the San Juan area; primarily serves and seeks to help migrants.

Annunciation House - another home with a mission to serve migrants; located in the notoriously dangerous El Paso-Juรกrez border area.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loki, Season 1 - Review

The first season of Loki is done, but the good news is that a second season is coming...at some point! It's been a heck of a year for MCU fans, with all the new shows and movies that have already come out and are still on the docket.  So, here are my thoughts on the latest Disney+ addition to the Marvel Universe: Things I Liked Sylvie  - she was the absolute stand-out of the whole show. I had never heard of Sophia Di Martino before, but she absolutely killed it. I love that about the MCU - taking virtual unknowns (like Tom Hiddleston pre- Thor ) and casting them in big roles. The chemistry between Sylvie and Loki was palpable, and I'm not ashamed to say that I totally ship them. I'm eager to see what Sylvie does next, and eager to see Di Martino in more projects!  Mobius - when I first heard about Owen Wilson being cast in a role in the MCU, I was like, Just kidding. But I was curious to see how the actor, a character in and of himself, would work out. He was such a brea

House of a Saint

102.5 pounds. That's how much I weighed when I was a senior in high school. I remember that number because I was proud of it, and because I never hit it again after I went off to college. At that time I was playing field hockey, eating a bowl of ice cream almost every night, and in a terrible, toxic relationship. Looking back at pictures of me from that time period, I looked slender and toned, by skin tan from practices and games spent outside. My teeth were straight and picture-perfect thanks to braces. My hair had a cute, natural flounce to it that I've mysteriously never been able to replicate.  But, boy, was I miserable in that body.  Fake it 'til you make it, baby. This time of year, when beaches and social media feeds are filled with images of half-naked bodies, it's hard to not feel less-than. Even knowing that people edit their pictures with filters and Photoshop, that they contort their bodies and hold their breath long enough to snap that perfect shot, it can