Skip to main content

The Triumph of Man

Is there a song that, no matter how many times you hear it, always gives you goosebumps? For me that song is "The Bells of Notre Dame" from Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Yes, I'm serious.

Earlier this week, on Palm Sunday, my family & I were taking a drive. Our car is an '08 & doesn't have an AUX port, but does have a disc changer so we often resort to listening to a variety of CDs while driving. And, naturally, there is always at least one Disney CD in the mix.

That song came on & by the end of it my legs were visibly covered in goosebumps. It made me wonder why that happens: why do we get goosebumps when we hear certain pieces of music? The thought occupied my mind for a bit, but I never came to any conclusions & I resisted the urge to Google it & fall into a Wikipedia blackhole of information on biological reactions to external stimuli.

And then I saw the news yesterday about THE Notre Dame. It broke my heart to see those images & videos of the magnificent cathedral in flames, not unlike the climax of the Disney movie when Quasimodo is battling Frollo while carrying an unconscious Esmeralda. But this was real life with real lives & irreplaceable relics on the line. It was a relief to read that many of those priceless artifacts had been saved & that no one was injured. My oldest wondered if someone had "saved Jesus from the tabernacle" & I told him that I was sure someone had, though never confirmed that.

It didn't take long for the internet to erupt with conspiracy theories & finger-pointing. An accident, as the reports claimed, or something more malicious? A sign of God's displeasure? A sign of the Church's inevitable demise? Punishment for the sins of the papacy? I'm not one to read into events like this, even when it involves something as iconic as Notre Dame. While it was a devastating sight to watch the spire fall, it did not carry with it the same human cost as other tragedies. No people leaping from the towers like on 9/11, no people trapped as the smoke billowed like in the Grenfell Tower. And, as importantly, it is not a death knell to our Faith.

In a few days from now we will remember the day our Lord Jesus Christ suffered & died on the cross. Even he had to die, so why shouldn't a building, even one as beautiful & magnificent as Notre Dame? We mourn Christ's death only to rejoice in his resurrection three days later. He died so that we may live.

Parts of Notre Dame are gone, but not what she represents. The people kneeling & praying the rosary & singing hymns in Paris yesterday know that. At the end of the day it's just a building; the church will live on in its people, even after those same people become ash & dust. The Church is eternal; churches are not. Our souls are eternal; our bodies are not.

The timing is appropriate in many ways. Lent is a period of preparation & cleansing. We tear down our old, sin-riddled selves in hopes of resurrecting a more purified version. Maybe Notre Dame will never be the same, but what will spring from its destruction? A more unified Church, I hope.

The cathedral, in all its splendor, is a shining example of the triumph of man - the stone work, the iconic stained glass, the flying buttresses, the gargoyles. It is mankind at its best & most creative, but still it is nothing compared to God's creation & Christ's triumph over sin. 

Roll away the stones, sweep up the debris, & be renewed. Easter is nearly here. The bells will ring on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loki, Season 1 - Review

The first season of Loki is done, but the good news is that a second season is coming...at some point! It's been a heck of a year for MCU fans, with all the new shows and movies that have already come out and are still on the docket.  So, here are my thoughts on the latest Disney+ addition to the Marvel Universe: Things I Liked Sylvie  - she was the absolute stand-out of the whole show. I had never heard of Sophia Di Martino before, but she absolutely killed it. I love that about the MCU - taking virtual unknowns (like Tom Hiddleston pre- Thor ) and casting them in big roles. The chemistry between Sylvie and Loki was palpable, and I'm not ashamed to say that I totally ship them. I'm eager to see what Sylvie does next, and eager to see Di Martino in more projects!  Mobius - when I first heard about Owen Wilson being cast in a role in the MCU, I was like, Just kidding. But I was curious to see how the actor, a character in and of himself, would work out. He was such a brea

House of a Saint

102.5 pounds. That's how much I weighed when I was a senior in high school. I remember that number because I was proud of it, and because I never hit it again after I went off to college. At that time I was playing field hockey, eating a bowl of ice cream almost every night, and in a terrible, toxic relationship. Looking back at pictures of me from that time period, I looked slender and toned, by skin tan from practices and games spent outside. My teeth were straight and picture-perfect thanks to braces. My hair had a cute, natural flounce to it that I've mysteriously never been able to replicate.  But, boy, was I miserable in that body.  Fake it 'til you make it, baby. This time of year, when beaches and social media feeds are filled with images of half-naked bodies, it's hard to not feel less-than. Even knowing that people edit their pictures with filters and Photoshop, that they contort their bodies and hold their breath long enough to snap that perfect shot, it can

I'm Not Going to Change Your Mind About Abortion

I'm not going to change your mind about abortion. I know I'm not. No matter how many statistics, testimonies, scientific facts I post, I know some people will not be swayed from their position.  But you know what? That's not really my intention anyway. @destinynwf Since the news broke about the Texas Heartbeat Bill my newsfeed has been full of posts about it. I've seen people lauding it, people decrying it, and plenty of people who are feeling a bit of both. I've seen a lot of misinformation about it, a lot of fear-mongering. I've seen false hope and premature relief. I've shared things on my own social media pages about the bill, too.  I know it's not going to necessarily change anyone's mind.  What's my intention, then? I share these things and I talk about these things because I believe that the only way to truly create change, the kind of change that both sides want, is by thinking about these things, really thinking about them, and then get